Make the most of your time indoors before the big spring thaw!
It’s still winter for most of the country and cold and rainy enough to keep you indoors. If you’re feeling bored or a little stir-crazy, you can put that anxious energy to use with a little indoor home upkeep.
Easy Mid-Winter Upkeep
Here are some important mid-winter home upkeep tasks you can easily knock out in the evenings and weekends:
• Check the basement for leaks during thaws and fix any cracks or water damage. The earlier you catch little leaks, the less water damage you’ll have to repair.
• Inspect the roof, gutters, and downspouts for damage after storms and clear any ice dams or blockages. Don’t endanger your life by climbing up there in bad weather but check these out as soon as you can after any big scary storms.
• Vacuum return vents & bathroom exhaust fan grills to remove dust and improve ventilation. This will keep your home looking great, make your AC filter last longer, improve furnace efficiency, and avoid annoying dust and allergens floating around your place.
• Vacuum refrigerator and freezer coils and empty and clean drip trays to improve efficiency and prevent mold. Mold usually happens in the warmer, wetter months, but now is a good time to clean things out.
• Deep clean your fridge and freezer because now you can empty them out, do your cleaning, and put it all back before everything melts and gets ruined.
• Clean drains in sinks, tubs, showers, and dishwashers to prevent clogs and reduce foul odors. This can be as easy as pouring a little drain cleaner down each drain and flushing it 30 minutes later. Many people don’t realize that dishwashers have a drain too and might have a filter that needs to be cleaned out regularly.
• Take on ambitious projects like interior painting, installing new flooring, or adding window treatments. Give your home an indoor face lift with a change of style or color! You may need to crack a window if paint or adhesive fumes get a little intense, so do the smelling projects when you have some mild weather.
• Check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and replace the batteries if needed, which is pretty much every year, so you don’t have to hunt down the elusive chirping in the middle of the night. And be careful on that ladder!
• Check your crawl space for foundation cracks, moisture, and pests. Little furry creatures like a warm place to nest in the winter, and you don’t want them getting too comfortable or venturing into your house to find food.
Upkeepr can help!
Upkeepr can help you remember when all these little tasks are due and when you did them last. Getting started is easy!
1. Download the App for FREE!
Find Upkeepr in the app store or log in the app online here.
2. Create an Item with the handy Wizard.
Click an item type or search to find common items that need regular upkeep.
3. Customize your upkeep schedule.
Tweak the recommended upkeep anyway you want or add new activities of your own.
Upkeepr will remind you when maintenance is due. How-To guides and any supplies are just a click away. Get Upkeepr and get things done!